October 26, 2015 Guest Post
Moisture and debris trapped inside your home from outdoors can seriously damage floors. Unless you have a sturdy doormat that can withstand harsh weather conditions, you may have to mop, sweep and vacuum more frequently. People’s first line of defense is usually the cheapest doormat they can find on the market; very few pay attention to the quality of the mat. In wintertime, there’s a lot dirt, grime, and debris piling up on doormats, so it’s definitely a good idea to make a sensible choice to keep your floors clean. Here are some tips on how to choose the best doormat for winter.
Surfaces, mat materials and placement considerations
Buying an appropriate doormat for your home involves some serious decision making. First, you have to settle on performance considerations, like frequency of use, material and surface, as well as design considerations, like style, color, size and pattern. Furthermore, you must think about the location. Are you looking for a mat to place outside, inside (in the hallway), or both? In wintertime, when there’s a lot of moisture piling up, which means you may require doormats at the entrance, both inside and outside the doorway. Caring for your doormats cuts down the amount of grime, dirt, mud and chemicals that enters your home.
As far as the material is concerned, every homeowner is at liberty to make his own choices. Keep in mind that guests will be wiping filthy snow, mud and dirt on your doormat, so it might be a good idea to invest in durable materials such as nylon, teak, Palmyra fibers, coir, and coconut fiber.
Mats for the winter
Doormats placed outside, in front of the door in harsh weather climates should feature resistant materials and double surfaces. Search for a mat with “scraper” surfaces. These have rough tops that make scraping off snow and mud a lot easier. If you’re thinking of placing the mat in high-traffic areas, look for a weather-proof, thick bottom made of rubber. Doormats for the hallway can have scraper surfaces, too. However, look for a mat that’s not too thick and scrappy on the bottom; you don’t want to damage the flooring.
Wiper mats are often made of nylon surfaces that can remove dust from people’s footwear. Some tips to help homeowner expand the life of their doormats:
• Thoroughly clean your mats periodically (weekly) to preserve their effectiveness in time
• Remove dust, dirt and grime by shaking the mats daily
• Vacuuming every couple of days is a great idea
• Use an upholstery shampoo or dishwashing liquid to rise and clean your doormats
• Before putting them back to use, make sure the mats are completely dry
Most people buy doormats with a sole purpose in mind – to ward off dirt and grime. However, these items are the first thing guests see when they enter your home. Don’t you think they should be appealing and make people feel welcomed? In order to make your home feel inviting, you should invest in doormats that are both durable and stylish.
Select a doormat that matchesbeautifully with the rest of your home décor. Mix style with performance and thus your family and friends will love to come over for supper. It’s equally important to have an appropriate size. Your mat should accommodate people’s shoes comfortably. As for the actual design, just be creative. There are lots of ideas you can choose. Here are some ingenious ideas:
• Doormats with messages – these sort of mats are hilarious. Messages like “Go Away” “Dangerous Cat Inside” “Unfriendly Family” and so on, are both funny and enticing. Guests will definitely like your sarcastic sense of humor.
• Interesting designs – in this category we can include mats with minimalistic designs, unusual shapes and color palettes
• Cartoons and caricatures – once again you have the chance to prove your household has a sense of humor; mats will caricatures and cartoon are just hysterical.
Choosing a doormat for your home in wintertime doesn’t have to be that challenging. All you have to do is pay attention to the material. As long as you’re willing to invest in quality, the inside of your home will remain clean and fresh. Purchase mats with interesting designs, get creative and add some innovation into your home to make people feel welcomed.